Monday, September 12, 2011

Guilt


Wow, I had no idea how intense my feelings of guilt would be weaning off nursing/pumping.  This weekend was a busy one and I knew I wouldn't have much time to pump, which made it convenient to start the weaning process.  Pumping is very time consuming and in order to maintain an adequate supply you have to pump every 3-4 hrs...no matter where you are, what you're doing or who you're with!  I was a-okay over the weekend, pumping only once in the morning and once at night...then Monday hit.  I went through my normal routine in the morning, except for the fact that I didn't pack up my pump for work.  The minute my body/mind noticed this change, I became completely racked with guilt!  I sat in the kitchen for a good 10 mins trying to convince myself it was OK not to pump.
 
Once at work I talked to my friend A about it and if she experience any guilt when she had stopped.  Yup!  Apparently she had read in a nursing book that when you stop nursing/pumping your body releases a chemical that makes you feel horribly guilty.  Good to know! 

Now I just need to try and replace those feelings of guilt with pride in what I have accomplished:  I breastfed my baby for 5 months and helped build up his immune system!  :)  He's happy and healthy and has no problems taking formula.  He will be starting solids soon and will receive plenty of nutrients that way as well.  Plus it will be nice to no longer be a slave to the pump!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment