Friday, August 13, 2010

Mr. Miyagi

There is this statue that floats between the women in my organization at work. I’m not exactly sure how it all started or who brought it in, but it acquired a reputation very quickly. Every woman who has had this statue in her cube has become pregnant! This ‘fertility god’ has been nicknamed Mr. Miyagi and has been the subject of many conversations. Lo and behold, when I return from my honeymoon in April, I found this guy squatting in my cube! Someone had even taken the time to draw stick pictures of babies on my whiteboard. This ‘charm’ had been passed onto me, and I was ready to take on the challenge. I rearranged my cube several times just to find the ‘right’ place for it to occupy. Making sure I could see it every day as I worked and rubbing its bald head for luck. I even hand carried it to my new cube when I switched buildings. I did have a couple of guys ask me what was up with the statue…it made for some awkward explanations and I would end up blurting out the reason in a straight forward manner versus concocting some glamorous story. Yea, I’m witty like that.


It appears Mr. Miyagi’s reputation remains intact. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment