Sunday, April 24, 2011

Ryland's debut

At my week 39 appointment we set a date to induce.  I was still hopeful that our baby boy would come on his own, but then 40 weeks came and went and so we anxiously awaited for our induction on Monday April 18th. 

Sunday evening we made sure we had everything ready to go and went to bed at a reasonable hour (10:30pm).  I couldn't fall asleep until midnight or so due to all the excitement.  4am came quickly. We both actually woke up 10 mins before the alarm went off.  We ate a breakfast taco, checked our stuff for the 5th time and then we were on our way out the door by 4:30am.

It was surreal heading to the hospital that early.  No one was on the road. It was a nice peaceful trip to the women's center...not the crazy scurrying and adrenaline rushed panicked ride to the hospital that I had envisioned.  We checked in at 5am but they weren't quite ready for us.  Apparently the full moon that night had sent tons of women into labor (not me), and they asked us to wait in the waiting room.  Twenty mins later they took us to our labor and delivery room where I changed and waited for the nurse.

The nurse arrived at 7am, just as we were falling back asleep, to hook up my IV and go over what would happen next.  I signed a few consent forms and at 8am they gave me Pitocin.  I started having some good contractions, although I couldn't feel them.  I remember thinking at this time that it was a bummer I still wasn't feeling anything. Oh Christina, how I regretted thinking that later...

At 9am my Dr came in and checked me (3cm) and broke my water.  My parents showed up shortly after the Dr left the room.  Within 15 mins I could feel the contractions.  Right off the bat they were coming every 2 mins.  They started off weak and then became stronger.  After 1 hour I was really feeling them and squirming quite a bit.  The nurse asked me if I was ready for my epidural, I was at 4cm.  I told her I wanted to wait maybe 1 more hour, I figured I could handle it.  Boy was I wrong.  Within 15 mins of that I was in so much pain that my eyes were watering.  I asked for the epi and they said 20 mins...OK, I could do 20 mins.  That was the worst 20 mins of the labor.  The intensity of the contractions were so strong that I actually threw up!  My dad had to leave the room, I don't think he liked seeing me in that much pain.  I told the nurse I couldn't wait anymore (it was past the 20 mins they originally said) so they gave me some other pain meds to sustain me until the anesthesiologist could get there, there were 2 of them working and both in high demand.  The drugs they gave me took the edge off a bit, I could still feel the contractions but I was so loopy that I didn't focus on them as much.  The anaesthesiologist showed up about 15 mins later (11am) and I wasn't hesitant at all to get that epi.  I was practically begging for it.  I didn't even feel the poke and the instant relief was a godsend.  How did women do this before the invention of drugs?  Forget that, I'll take the drugs!

After the epidural :)

Life was much easier after the epi.  I could relax and even take a few cat naps here and there.  I could feel the pressure of the contractions, but not the pain.  The Dr checked me around 1:30pm and I was still at 4cm.  That surprised me.  They decided to take me off the Pitocin to see if that would reset my body, I was at the highest dose they could give so they dropped it by half.  I was having 5 contractions every 10 mins.  About an hour later the Dr rechecked me and I had gone from 4cm to 8cm!  Wow, huge jump.  That made me happy.  That's when we hit our snag.  I stayed at 8cm for the next 4-5 hours.  :(  At 5pm the Dr came in and I already knew what she was going to suggest.  It was time for a c-section.  The baby hadn't dropped at all and I was stalled out at 8cm even though I was having steady contractions.  OK, let's do this.  I always knew that a c-section was a high possibility.  My mom had to have one for my brother and me and my cousin had to have one for her kids.  I was a little disappointed, as I had hoped that maybe I could deliver vaginally, but what mattered was having the baby safely.  Baby was still happy and doing great, but we didn't want to wait it out and take any chances.

At 6pm I was wheeled into the OR.  Everyone was really nice and friendly.  Malek changed and came in with his scrubs, hat and mask.  Boy was he good own McDreamy.  I was tempted to tell him to bring the scrubs home for later.  ;)  It was weird being awake for surgery, I could feel all the pressure and tugging, plus I was shaking uncontrollably.  The Dr was impressed with my ab muscles, she said they were really firm and she was having to really work at getting around them.  Malek chimed in and told them it was because I'm a runner. :)  A few minutes later I heard our baby boy crying.  He was finally here, born at 6:38pm!  I got all choked up listening to him, to my baby.  The doctor brought him around the side for me to get a glimpse of him before they whisked him off to be cleaned up.  He didn't cry for long, apparently he's a very calm little guy.  Malek kept going back and forth between me and Ryland to give me all the updates.  First thing he mentioned was that Ryland had blue eyes! Yes, yes I know the majority of Caucasian babies are born with blue eyes and they can change up to 6 months of age...but I was happy to hear blue.  ;)  I asked Malek if he had any hair?  He said "I have no idea!" and off he went to find out.  Turns out baby Ryland has a TON of dark hair just like me.  All the doctors and nurses were amazed when they saw his head of hair, not to mention he had a substantial cone head!  He measured in at 21 and 3/4 inches (including cone head) and 8 lbs 3 oz. 

Daddy went with Ryland to the nursery for the rest of his examination and bath while the doctors finished up with me and moved me to recovery.  Mom, Dad and hubby all came to visit me while I recovered.  Right before moving me to my post delivery room they brought Ryland in and I was able to hold him for the first time.  I was in awe and in love with my little man.  His sweet little coos are delightful and his face mesmerizes me.

Turns out I had to have the c-section.  Ryland was face-up (posterior position) and apparently I have a flat pelvis.  That's why baby couldn't drop and why I never went into labor.  There was just no way he was fitting through!

By the time we made it to our room it was 10pm. We managed to fit in a few photos before everyone headed home.  It had been a long day and everyone was exhausted.  It was all worth it though to finally hold Ryland in my arms - Our sweet little boy.

Malek family photo - 4/18/2011

Opa and Juju

No comments:

Post a Comment